If you recently plunged into the world of cryptocurrency, then most likely you have already wondered not only about purchasing Bitcoin on an exchange with advantageous rates, but also safer storage of your digital assets (since exchange itself is not a smart choice).
In a previous article, we went through various types of wallets, highlighting the safest of them. Well, if for some reason it’s suitable for you to store your funds on online services, today we’ll tell you how to create a crypto wallet on one of the most popular services called Blockchain.com.
How to create a cryptocurrency wallet on the Blockchain.com?
We will guide you through the process on how to create a crypto wallet. This exact service supports such coins as Bitcoin, Ethereum, Bitcoin Cash, Stellar, and USD PAX stablecoin, so can rely on them. In case if you are experienced Internet user, it won’t be abnormally for you. The flow is pretty simple:
- First, open https://www.blockchain.com/ link (check if the URL name corresponds, since you may face fake fishing mirrors, which may steal your private information).
- Once you have entered the website, find the “Get a Free Wallet” button on the right side of the screen and press it.
- A few entry fields will ask you for an email and password (make sure it’s complex enough).
- If everything goes well, you will get an email confirmation notification. Check your mailbox and follow the instructions.
- You are almost done. You should now be on a dashboard. Let’s create a Bitcoin wallet now.
- Select Bitcoin on the left sidebar and press the blue “Get BTC” button.
- Your personal public key will be indicated in “Address” field.
- Congratulations! Now you have successfully created your wallet and ready to receive Bitcoin.
To log in to your account later, you need to find out your Wallet ID. To do this, click the “Settings -> General” button in the upper right corner. Copy the alphanumeric key in the Wallet ID field and save it.
From now on, when you need to receive or send (of course, if you have assets in your account), simply open https://www.blockchain.com and log into your account using the Wallet ID and password that you specified during registration.
Please note that we do not recommend this service for operations with cryptocurrency, but just give an example. If you compare different types of services, then the desktop / mobile app will have higher priority to be chosen, since they are more secure.
Now, when you have your wallet, you need to take care of its security.
How to secure your assets?
Always keep your passwords and private keys in a safe place
This data is key. If it happens that you lose them, then your money will sink into oblivion. We advise not just copying them, but also writing them down in a pocket-book and duplicating them somewhere on the USB flash drive.
Enable Two-Factor Authentication
If the service you use allows to turn on two-factor authentication — never ignore this option. Its dramatically increases your chances to save your funds, since no intruder will be able to pass this stage without your mobile phone.
Separate funds and store them on different wallets
If you keep a significant amount of money, split the portfolio into smaller amounts and store it on different wallets. The likelihood that you will lose everything at once will be minimized.
The world of cryptocurrencies is not well regulated yet. No one will give you any warranty on your funds and promise their safety. You must choose the most reliable storage ways by yourself. Be careful and selective in this matter.
As for reliability, desktop and mobile apps can be considered the most reliable and quite convenient choices. If you are more of a mobile user, try the Plark app.
Plark — is an all-in-one mobile app for crypto managing. Store, send/receive, buy/sell via bank card, track your portfolio and prices of cryptocurrencies. Slick and clean design is the crucial thing, that makes your experience the smoothest it ever has been.